Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Review

This is my adapted version of a survey completed by my favorite blogger, whom I refer to as Sundry. Many of my athletic ambitions this year were inspired by her, as is my desire to write more consistently in funny and heart felt ways.

1. What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?

Went to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, B.C.; ran a 5K, a 10 K, and the 12K Bay to Breakers (in three successive months, I might add); completed 2 triathlons, traveled to Crater Lake, backpacked in a part of N. California known as the Marble Mountain wilderness as a family of 3.5 (Michael, Erin, myself and Kahlo); drove the entire length of the Oregon coast, from south to north

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

The two goals I had documented in writing for 2010 were:
A. Bay to Breakers 10K run in mid-May
This turned out to be a 12K and is roughly equivalent to 7 miles. I completed this, running most of the way and within the first 10,000 people which meant I got my name printed in the SF Chronicle. Barely.

B. Pine Hollow Sprint Triathlon in June
Finished this with decent time despite a floundering swim and poor sleep the previous night. I really enjoyed this event and will probably do it again this year.

Goals for 2011 include: At least three triathlons, one of which will be Olympic distance and get down to my goal weight of %#*!. I have more and will add to this list but right know iIm still contemplating which direction the betterment of me will take.


3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, and I considered deleting this question because, although I have a number of work colleagues and former classmates squarely in this stage of development (see Erickson's stage 6- generativity vs. stagnation), I don't know of anyone close to me who will be looking forward to or trying for new parenthood anytime soon.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

My grandfather, Keith. He was a farm boy from Iowa, who seemed really grumpy when I was a kid. Later, especially after he retired, he seemed calmer and more demonstrative of affection with us grandkids.
I learned as an kid that my mother, her parents and her siblings had been in an serious accident, in which all involved were lucky to have survived. My mother had serious lesions and nearly lost her nose; my uncle has a major concussion, an aunt had broken bones, but the worst of the damage occurred to my grandfathers spine. He broke his neck and it was thought, at the time, that he may never regain the ability to walk. He did relearn to walk but lost his proprioception (the ability to feel where he was in space) which meant that he spent the rest of his life without feeling his hands, feet, legs, and arms. If he couldn't see them, they were just a habit he carried around with him. What this condition resolved into as aged and lost his balance and eyesight was a loss of monitoring of his body which impaired his ability to groom himself or eat or take his medications.

It seems like in his final years he became a wraith of his former self; although he was still fiery at times, he spent many family gatherings without anyone talking with him.

He was ever passionate about his service as a Marine and ever the patriot, and deeply concerned about the well being of those he loved, especially my grandmother, whom he had known for nearly seven decades.

5. What countries did you visit?
Canada - Vancouver, B.C. visit to Susan and Kirk during the WInter Olympics. I'm so thankful we had this opportunity. Even though we didn't attend any ticketed sporting events, we did make it into town to see the torch run around town, mill around in the streets with folks from all over the world, and experience an amazing world celebration. We even attended the Chinese New Year parade, which I think was a bit overshadowed by the whole Olympics thing.

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Better financial footing and a kitchen that doesn’t irritate the hell out of me.

7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March - First 5k
April - First 10k
May - Bay to Breakers
June - Triathlon at Pine Hollow
August - Family Vacation
September - Loss of Grandpa, quitting 2nd job, Randy moved back to PDX

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Completing a triathlon. Sticking to a training schedule to complete many new athletic experiences whilst working two jobs.

9. What was your biggest failure?
My biggest disappointments or failures often feel like they are tied to my parenting or my profession. There are certain kids I work with that I always feel like I failed no matter what I did or tried.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

I stayed injury free during my athletic training, which felt like a triumph in itself. Intermittent light headedness seems to be a theme for the year, though, both for Erin and myself.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new road bike and entry fees to athletic events.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My daughter. She started 6th grade at a school I choose for her where she didn't know many kids and was not happy with my choice. She found a group of friends but no one in her group was in her core class. She felt a bit lonely and isolated at times. She managed straight A's all year, invested herself challenged herself to advance up a grade in math (against my better judgement) and ended the school year with high regard from friends and staff.
She also choose to try the local swim team at Grant High for the summer. This pool has a HUGE swim team, who practices at 7, 8, or 9 in the morning. I worked for 4 weeks this summer, so she biked to practice, often went to the 7 am practice, which had less kids = better coaching, and stayed frequently stayed for 2 practices. She ended the summer a solid racing swimmer, felt strong and healthy, and improved her esteem.
She backpacked, she climbed walls at the Portland Rock Gym, she organized a UNICEF campaign at school and exceeded her fundraising goal. She is 13. And she is the most impressive person I knew or knew of in 2011.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Usually my own. Sometimes my parents. Occasionally my colleagues.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Towards paying off consumer debt. That is where most of it will go this year as well. It's getting better, though.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
San Francisco trip; Backpacking and visiting Crater Lake and the Redwoods; excercising - I become one of those people who talks about exercising all the time, as evidenced by this list.

16. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
A little of both? Or neither? I can't remember my mental state at this time last year. I know I was still working 2 jobs, so that caused a different level of fatigue and household compromise that is not present now.
b) thinner or fatter?
Compared to 12/31 last year, a bit slimmer. Maybe. Compared to earlier in 2010, about 10 lbs. fatter. Too much pasta and baked goods for the past 3 months.
c) richer or poorer?
Slightly poorer for having only one job right now, but I've erased alot of personal consumer debt so I feel slightly richer for having resolved some of those burdens.

17. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Spent time with Erin and Michael, spent time enriching friendships and connecting with people I care about

18. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Procrastinating. Sitting indoors.

19. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent Christmas day by getting upset with my dog in the a.m. because she had peed and vomited in my office, taking Erin to her grandparents for her dad's family Christmas, mentally preparing for time with my mom's family, looking forward to spending time with friends at the end of the night, fighting with my mom, and capped off the day by passing out for no apparent reason which prompted a call for EMT services by previous co-workers at the K-hole.
But Christmas Eve was great.

20.What was your favorite TV program?
Fringe, Lie to Me, Mad Men, Community, Louie

21. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I think I hate all the same people I did last year.

22. What was the best book you read?
This question is unfair because I can never name just one good book. I am a bibliophile and had many many great book experiences this year. Some of my great reads were the result of receiving the Indiespensible subscription from Powell’s for Christmas of 2009 and I highly recommend it for exposing oneself to compelling books that you may not otherwise choose. Most notable include the Hunger Games series, The Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes, The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender, and More Best Recipes and The New Best Recipes cookbooks sent me on a cooking spree that that has yet to cease.

23. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Great music is usually foisted upon me by my brother, who is a musician, so it is rare that I can say I discover music in any given year. This year the music Randy helped me discover La Roux, a British band that sounds, to me, a bit like David Bowie meets Annie Lennox.

24. What did you want and get?
A badass food processor for my new cooking obsession and to go backpacking with Erin and Michael along part of the PCT.

25. What did you want and not get?
A sunny vacation for just Michael and me. To reach my appropriate BMI.

26. What was your favorite film of this year?
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1. Scott Pilgrim Saves the World.
I spend a lot of time watching movies on Netflix, which means most of the films I consume are one of the following: 1. Oldies but goodies, 2. Oldies but mediocre, 3. New but not good enough for release in major theaters, or 4. documentaries of some sort or 5. great movies I have watched many, many times.
Movies that surprised me on Netflix instant watch this year include Shrink, More Than a Game, The Duchess, The Queen and I, B.I.K.E.(which includes many of my brother’s former roommates in NYC), and The Young Victoria.

27. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I think we went to Russell Street BBQ for my birthday. My grandfather died on the 10th, my birthday’s on the 13th; the whole week was a bit weak. I am 35.

28. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Nothing that I can pinpoint.

29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Reduction in pant size and increase in athletic gear, including very expensive running shoes, lots of spandex-y pants, a wetsuit for cold water swims, bike gloves, swimsuit (yikes), goggles, etc., etc.

30. What kept you sane?
I may not be sane. There is a lot of debate about this question.

31. What political issue stirred you the most?
Attacks on public education, Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, continued wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. We have been fighting in Afghanistan for 10 years. That is a tragedy.

32. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.

That I’m pretty good at setting goals and accomplishing them when they are meaningful to me.

No comments: