Saturday, January 23, 2010

Circling the Brain

As I stated in my previous post, I have a hard time getting my brain stop. It is constantly contemplating that one thing or that next thing, or why did she/say that?, why did I say that? what is on the to do list?, pick up, drop off, dinner, soccer schedules, work out opportunities, financial crisis (personal and national), Basketball box scores, the state of the union, (personal and national), education of the ill communicators, etc, etc, blah blah blah.

So, on that note let me take a moment to purge these thoughts for you. Or on you. Whichever.

1. First off, since it reached a new level of ugly last night....what the hell is going on with the Blazers and their athletic trainers? Injury roll call for the year:
Jeff Pendergraph, hip surgery; Nic Batum, shoulder injury; Travis Outlaw, fractured foot; Greg Oden, split knee cap; Joel Pryzbilla, torn up knee; Rudy Fernandez, dodgy sciatic nerve and back surgery; Brandon Roy, hamstring strain; Jarred Bayless, sprained ankle last night

Professional basketball players put their bodies through a tremendous amount of punishment every game but this is getting ridiculous. Somebody needs to reconsider the competence of our teams training staff and find someone who can keep one of the youngest teams in the league healthy and playing. I want my team of their crutches and out of their braces and on the floor playing the game.

2. Ugly results this week from Massachusetts, as the voters there apparently felt like giving the legacy of Ted Kennedy the middle finger. The sad fact that John Kerry is now the senior senator from the state and that a republican holds the title of junior is a bit depressing. The number of GOP boners and FOX news circle jerks over this political coup has been really nauseating.

3. Which brings me to this little fun fact: Did you know that the Supreme Court of our dear nation in a 5-4 decision over turned 100 years of campaign finance protections that were meant to keep corporations out of the business of electing political officials? Well, they did. And now I fully expect to see politicians selling advertising space on their suits, ties, foreheads, etc. as ad executives and candidates work to adjust to these new rules. For example, " Please welcome Governor So&So, brought to you by Chase Bank, providing you with unmanageable debt for over 40 years!"

Mark my words, people. This new interpretation of the law will be one of the most far-reaching and perverse acts instituted in this country in a long, long time. I'm so glad that our rights to free speech can apply to corporations. I'm so glad the democracy is subject to the whims of corporate interest. (insert bitter sarcasm here)

I feel like I'm living in one of those distopian novels that are set in the near future and includes flying cars, computer chips in the shoulders of every man, woman and child, and Big Brother wanting us all to burn books while voting for the candidate being promoted by Wal-mart. Maybe the People of Wal-Mart blog will become the national news outlet in this whacky new world.

Thanks to Justices Sotomayor, Bader Ginsburg, Breyer and Stevens for being intelligent and decent people. At least there are 4 people in the world that think corporations are not the equivalent of citizens.

To Chief Justice Roberts and his hit squad of Justices (Kennedy, Alito, Thomas, Scalia) I am exercising my free speech rights as an individual citizen, while it still exists. You five can kiss my ass, bite me, shove it, stick it, and just generally fuck off.




No comments: